Videogame The modern videogame epidemic of graphics and open-worldness over quality

Loser
Staff member
In recent years, I've noticed an epidemic plaguing the gaming community where studios focus on graphics and the size of the game's world's openess over the actual gameplay and quality of the game, and as a result it's lead to games taking multiple YEARS to complete only for the result to be an overly open game with way too many side quests that are a MAJOR pain to complete even for completionists like me. Such an example is starfield which took 7 years to complete but currently only has an average of 5,643.2 players a month with a peak of 10,499 players a month. I mean for spending so much money and time you'd expect it to have a WAY bigger playerbase, right? And don't get me wrong, this style of development CAN be executed very well (like elden ring was) but most of the time it isn't, so I think it's better for developers and studios to abandon this format of game development for a much more balanced, less time-consuming format.

Activity
So far there's no one here