Philosophy Why I will read Nietzsche.

I am a Christian. I wear a cross and proclaim to follow Jesus Christ. My faith however is hollow, only an abstraction of itself. If someone were to tell me "Explain why you're Christian" or "Rationalize your faith", I realized that I cannot do such a thing. I can not rationalize or argument for my faith, and by that extension I do not have any tangible faith. Saying one believes when one has no tangible deep faith is worse than not believing at all, because at least the second group is not lying to themselves.

Then I came to a conclusion, Friedrich Nietzsche is most likely the most intelligent denier of God and attacker of Christianity that has ever set foot on earth. So if I want to rationalize my faith, the best way to do so would be to stand eye to eye with the most intelligent opponent of the idea I desire to defend, by doing this I either lose and submit to his ideals (which would at least be tangible argumentative ideals), or when facing this man my brain is forced to develop tangible counter arguments and ideals defending and explaining why I do believe. I'm convinced the only way for me to find peace within the stability of my Christian faith is to go up against this iron man of its opposition. I either lose or I win, either way I will be able to know why I think the way I do.

Tabula Rasa @Tabula Rasa

blank slate
Staff member
Administrator
Friedrich Nietzsche is most likely the most intelligent denier of God and attacker of Christianity that has ever set foot on earth.
Rather flattering that you refer to him as the most intelligent, there have been many other intelligent writers and philosophers who have written their own polemics and criticisms against Christianity. Nietzsche is certainly a name that is more recognisable in this contemporary era, however.
So if I want to rationalize my faith, the best way to do so would be to stand eye to eye with the most intelligent opponent of the idea I desire to defend, by doing this I either lose and submit to his ideals (which would at least be tangible argumentative ideals), or when facing this man my brain is forced to develop tangible counter arguments and ideals defending and explaining why I do believe. I'm convinced the only way for me to find peace within the stability of my Christian faith is to go up against this iron man of its opposition. I either lose or I win, either way I will be able to know why I think the way I do.
It would be rather negligible for a novice like you to spar in an intellectual joust against a long-dead influential philosopher who has already been picked apart by other commentators aplenty over the many decades. Perhaps it would be better for you to familiarise yourself with a diverse range of viewpoints and arguments instead of focusing so intently on one individual.

Rather flattering that you refer to him as the most intelligent, there have been many other intelligent writers and philosophers who have written their own polemics and criticisms against Christianity. Nietzsche is certainly a name that is more recognisable in this contemporary era, however.
Name some you deem more intelligent, will check them out for sure, Nietzsche just holds this mysterious aura of a scarily deep mind that you rarely will see each century.
It would be rather negligible for a novice like you to spar in an intellectual joust against a long-dead influential philosopher who has already been picked apart by other commentators aplenty over the many decades. Perhaps it would be better for you to familiarise yourself with a diverse range of viewpoints and arguments instead of focusing so intently on one individual.
I spar for my own personal satisfaction, not for glory or fame. Also I do not know what others have said so I start with a clean slate.

blank slate
Staff member
Administrator
Name some you deem more intelligent
I'm not one who ranks other intellectuals by such a metric, I'm just suggesting that you shouldn't single out a particular individual when there exists a broader range of material with which you could familiarise yourself with. Perhaps you should investigate some of the thinkers of the Enlightenment, for example Voltaire and Hume.

Loser
Staff member
I am a Christian. I wear a cross and proclaim to follow Jesus Christ. My faith however is hollow, only an abstraction of itself. If someone were to tell me "Explain why you're Christian" or "Rationalize your faith", I realized that I cannot do such a thing. I can not rationalize or argument for my faith, and by that extension I do not have any tangible faith. Saying one believes when one has no tangible deep faith is worse than not believing at all, because at least the second group is not lying to themselves.

Then I came to a conclusion, Friedrich Nietzsche is most likely the most intelligent denier of God and attacker of Christianity that has ever set foot on earth. So if I want to rationalize my faith, the best way to do so would be to stand eye to eye with the most intelligent opponent of the idea I desire to defend, by doing this I either lose and submit to his ideals (which would at least be tangible argumentative ideals), or when facing this man my brain is forced to develop tangible counter arguments and ideals defending and explaining why I do believe. I'm convinced the only way for me to find peace within the stability of my Christian faith is to go up against this iron man of its opposition. I either lose or I win, either way I will be able to know why I think the way I do.

Tabula Rasa @Tabula Rasa
Copied from .org

Fair enough, also read the nietzsche alternatives under your original thread if you haven't already.
On The Genealogy of Morals
Birth of Tragedy
Beyond Good and Evil
The Gay Science
Twilight of The Idols
Anti-Christ
Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Ecce Homo

Current list. Feel free to add anything.

Activity
So far there's no one here